UEFA is optimistic of Hosting the champions league in Lisbon, thereby shutting doors for a plan B, despite Portuguese authorities reintroducing a new phase of lockdown restrictions to curb the COVID-19 pandemic.
A UEFA spokesperson said “We hope everything will be fine and that it will be possible to organise the tournament in Portugal. For the moment there is no reason to prepare a Plan B”
The European football spokesperson also said ” UEFA is in continuous contact with the Portuguese Football Federation”
UEFA announced earlier this month that the latter stages of the Champions League would be staged exceptionally as a straight knockout competition from the quarter-finals onwards with all matches in Lisbon.
The final eight is due, to begin with the first quarter-final on August 12, with the final scheduled for August 23.
Matches will be played at Benfica’s Estadio da Luz and the nearby Estadio Jose Alvalade, home of Sporting.
Atletico Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain, RB Leipzig and Atalanta all qualified for the quarter-finals before the competition was suspended in March.
The remaining last 16, second legs are Juventus v Lyon; Manchester City v Real Madrid; Bayern Munich v Chelsea and Barcelona v Napoli.
It is hoped those matches set for August 7 and 8 will not need to be played on neutral ground but they could also be moved to Portugal, with UEFA standing by to spread the matches around the country, in Lisbon as well as in the northern cities of Porto and Guimaraes.
The UEFA president has said it is unlikely that any of the matches would be played in the presence of fans,
But said UEFA would re-access the situation in July.